Digital marketing is the marketing of products or services using digital technologies, mainly on the Internet, but also including mobile phones, display advertising, and any other digital medium. Digital marketing’s development since the 1990s and 2000s has changed the way brands and businesses use technology for marketing. As digital platforms are increasingly incorporated into marketing plans and everyday life, and as people use digital devices instead of visiting physical shops, digital marketing campaigns are becoming more prevalent and efficient.
Digital Marketing Methods
Businesses leverage digital channels such as Google search, social media, email, and their websites to connect with their current and prospective customers. The reality is, people spend twice as much time online as they used to 12 years ago. And while we say it a lot, the way people shop and buy really has changed, meaning offline marketing isn’t as effective as it used to be.
Lead Generation Through Digital Marketing
A lead generation is a new form of driving new business; it is a process of attracting and converting strangers into leads. Lead generation can be defined as a marketing process of capturing the interest of the buyers for in a product or service for increasing the sales. We can also call it as a process of collecting names and other information about the right buyers which will be later contacted by the sales team.
Lead generation uses different digital channels for sale and now it has been experiencing extensive changes in the recent years as there is a tremendous rise in online and social techniques. In marketing, lead generation is the initiation of consumer interest. Nowadays the buying process has changed, and marketers need to find new innovative ways to reach the buyers, and so digital marketing is one of the main platforms for getting the leads without much a lot of efforts.
Digital marketing can work for any business in any industry. Regardless of what your company sells, digital marketing still involves building out buyer personas to identify your audience’s needs and creating valuable online content. However, that’s not to say that all businesses should implement a digital marketing strategy in the same way.
If your company is B2B, your digital marketing efforts are likely to be centered around the online lead generation, with the end goal being for someone to speak to a salesperson. For that reason, the role of your marketing strategy is to attract and convert the highest quality leads for your salespeople via your website and supporting digital channels. Beyond your website, you’ll probably choose to focus your efforts on business-focused channels like LinkedIn where your demographic is spending their time online.
Talking about the Lead Generation techniques, we see many traditional ways of capturing leads like trade shows, word of mouth, telemarketing, sending cold emails, etc., But do we really reach out to our leads? No, many times we land up to the customers who are not at all interested in our products or services. So, in this case, we need to upgrade our Lead Generation techniques and reach out to the right people. Nowadays, we find more of modern techniques and tools used by the marketers to generate extreme leads. Some of the major techniques are as follows:
- Email Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media Marketing
To run-push your business or company towards success and huge profits, it is necessary to follow a smart and effective Lead Generation strategy. The best way to do so is to follow the 4-layered approach. This 4-layered strategy consists of 4 L’s which are Lead Capture, Lead Magnets, Landing Page Conversion, as well as Lead Scoring.
- Lead Capture: Lead Capturing is the hardest part of generating leads. Here you have to focus on capturing the visitors who can possibly be converted into leads. Capturing is a process through which you can point potential customers in the right direction so that they can get more information on whatever they are looking for.
- Lead Magnet: Lead Magnet focuses on maximizing the number of leads that you will be capturing. Lead Magnets are those appealing offers or deals you give to your leads in return for their contact information. Lead Magnets acts as a tool used to keep your target customers engaged once you have captured them.
- Landing Page Conversion: The most important work of the Landing Page is to convert the leads into buyers by offering the customers what they want. Landing Page is a single page marketing method; this page is the place where people land when they click on some ad or link to your service or business. You need to create a very strong and powerful Landing Page as since that’s the first page of encounter for the people. Landing Page benefits in two ways — one by capturing new leads and second by warming the existing ones.
- Lead Scoring: Basically, Lead Scoring is the key to knowing about the customers, things like how interested is he in buying from you, and this may involve things such as tenure, behavior, engagement levels and some other interactive points. It helps in categorizing leads and determining which ones need more attention and encouragement and which ones are ready for conversion.
Digital marketing is about utilizing digital technology to achieve marketing objectives. There is no essential need for digital marketing to always be separate from the marketing department as a whole, as the objectives of both are the same. However, for now, it remains a useful term because digital marketing requires a certain skill set to utilize the digital technology effectively.